What is necessary to start this little upholstery project? To renovate and uplift an old armchairs or stools you need:
- manual skills
- old armchairs, chairs, stools or some other furniture that you can practice your upholstery on
- tools and materials for renovating (The only tools I was using were a small hammer, upholstery stapler and scissors)
I live in Ireland, but find most supplies quite expensive. I therefore did all my shopping abroad. I am including links to the online shop I was using.
- Upholstery fabric http://www.sklep-tapicerski.pl/tkaniny-obiciowe (I used this one: http://www.sklep-tapicerski.pl/plusze
- Fabrics that you don’t see : http://www.sklep-tapicerski.pl/tkaniny-podbiciowe (you put them inside or underneath your chair or stool – to protect it and make it stronger and more durable)
- Felt [500g/m2]
- Wadding [80g/m2]
- Canvas or linen [70g/m2]
- Foam T30: http://www.sklep-tapicerski.pl/pianki-tapicerskie-gestosc-t30 5 cm thick
- Foam T25 http://www.sklep-tapicerski.pl/pianki-tapicerskie-gestosc-t25 2 cm thick
This was the stool I wanted to change and uplift.
I had to get rid of the sheepskin. I liked the design, but it was so dirty that I could clean it so decided to change the upholstery altogether. I decided to use the materials left over from the bigger project: armchair upholstery project.
It followed with the second, thinner foam layer. I also had to cut the circle, but this time, a bigger circle so in could be folded underneath the seat.
I have attached the foam to the sides of the seat with the upholstery stapler. You can also attach it to the underneeth part of it.
The very las step is to cut the fabric. (before that you an put another layer of cotton or linnen fabric to cover the faom, i did not do it as I had no left). The upholstery fabric is attached underneath the seat.